Friday, February 4, 2011

Karen Stintz

She is the new TTC Chair. Surely you've seen her on local news clips recently what with the TTC union agreement expiring March 31. I think she is great and watch, she is going to be a star. The is the best politician I have seen on the Ontario stage in the past six years. Mark my words.



Another example to my thread, started yesterday, about how my life is one connected dot after another is this (and I don't try to make this happen; it juts does).

Checking out what 'TCM' is showing over the next couple of days for it '30 days of Oscar' I noticed 'Mourning becomes Electra'. Not the first time I have ever heard of this film it has one of those titles that sticks to my skin like 'Electra Glide in Blue'; 'Electra' may be the key. But on this day the movie that was jogged in my memory bank was 'The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds'. Another film from 1972 stored for it's title not it's content but I remember that it was disturbing. Research was needed.

"Mourning' an update of a Greek Tragedy and "Electra' a complex. Link, it is Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung. 'Freud', for the record (ask O'Neill or maybe Quinn), a pivotal discovery in my young academic life that changed the course of my life, forever.

Digging deeper I laughed while reading an account of 'Freud' opposite 'Electra'. 'Freud' had come professionally to label women as the second sex and cited most of his personal-professional experience with them as 'psychological degenerates'. If you know anything about 'Freud' this is a wildly interesting tag. One which would make me laugh.

Satisfied that I understood the Greek original I followed my original line of thinking to 'The Effects....' title and was surprised that Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward were involved and whose daughter was one of the stars, namely 'Nell Potts'. Where had I heard her name? More research and I find a historical link to 'Alice Waters'. Her I most definitely know and her restaurant 'Chez Panisse' in Berkley.

'Alice' is very good friends with 'Mikhail Baryshnikov' and together they were featured in one of 'Sundance's' 'Iconoclasts' segments. Sufficiently moved after having seen that original broadcast I wrote Sharon to share what she would also consider to be a perfect convergence of art forms. So struck by the story it told I pirated a few words from the interview and one of it's sub-story lines. Specifically the children's book about dance and the famous conclusion 'Because'. It was 'Because' that became my dedication page in 'Magick' and which I later I explained in detail in the NPR interview.

This was not a self-determined search. It was merely following tangential links in thinking made fast and easy with 'Wikipedia'. It was just like this that I 'got to' Holland and 'Maacland'. When seemingly you experience stuff like this every day it is difficult for me not to imagine them as signs and mileposts. When you are tripping over symbols it is impossible to resist the notion that your express purpose for being here, now, is to capture it in words and tell the story that apparently is begging you to write.

Within this context are 'leaps of faith', the kind where I sit down and begin to let the air out. Whatever it is, it is supposed to be and all I have to do is watch for the signs. I can guarantee you when this is finished you will recognize a little bit of what you are feeling but have not yet understood how to see.

It begins with Lisa.

No comments:

Post a Comment