Friday, January 28, 2011

Film Festival Branding

This morning started with a passing thought that morphed into what I imagined would be a simple premise and exercise. The synthesis was not so seamless and nothing like transparent, which is a drag for me, spending far more time on this than planned This is precisely the type glop that wears me out mentally, physically and psychically. Let me tell you about it.

If you pay the mildest attention to arts and entertainment media it has been impossible to avoid this year's 'Sundance Film Festival' coverage. I have been a sucker for celebrity, glitz and glamour since I  was a kid tossing footballs under the high wire electrical lines of Toronto's inner-city streets and Joe 'Willy' Namath made headlines for his Superbowl III prediction and playboy lifestyle. Never what I considered to be a cinephile I enjoyed popular film and 'the movie experience' which now seems like it was somewhat easier in my youth. 'The Exorcist', 'Papillon' 'The Sting'  and 'Last Tango' from 1973 sandwiched between 'The Godfather', 'Deliverance', 'Cabaret' and 'The Getaway' in 72 and 'Chinatown' in 1974 were all more or less 'must see' because they were interesting and exciting.

Whatever else was happening in my life I slowly accumulated a list of favorites that in retrospect were pretty good films. 'Bullitt', 'The French Connection', 'Hud', 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof', 'Who Is Afraid of Virginia Woolf' and 'the Long Hot Summer'  are just a few that I have tucked away. It was not until my stint in Vancouver that my mind's eye shifted and my tastes matured and perspective assumed more depth. I can thank two relationships with very different women for this wider appreciation. On one hand I learned things like 'The Player' boasted the longest continuous shot in cinematic history from one and the intrinsic value in Foreign Films from the other. Film Festivals suddenly became important to me and I slowly moved from the passive audience to front row student.

Back in Toronto, during the last two festival seasons there, my ongoing interest in film opened up and engaged me in the hype and promotion found at the edges of screen. A Yorkville venue made Toronto a good sound stage for foreign press as it is one of Canada's few high-end shopping districts where 'real' money lives and sleeps. Film Festivals are a big part of the marketing machine toward success and celebrities from all corners of 'The Industry' are conscripted to attend and promote their latest work. That Toronto does have some elements of 'world-class' and a local population eager for a 'chance appearance' and a 'brush with fame', the crowds are 'no cost' extras exploited by studios as proof and credibility for 'the work' being showcased. It plays well in the media.

Beyond the hype Toronto's Festival organizers are legitimate voices in the world of cinema evidenced, I think, by the fact that the film jury is largely comprised of Canadian nobodies year after year and still the 'best' picks are usually spot on. The 'Best' picks in Toronto are, for the most part, audience selections amid a scope of films being offered up considered expansive and eclectic, representing excellence and importance across a broad spectrum of disciplines and genres.It is legitimately a good product and deserves most of the homegrown buzz. With all of this in mind, my passing thought this morning was that, in the face of 'Sundance' redirecting it's focus back towards it's original roots, could 'TIFF'  emerge as a stronger more significant vehicle for industry self-promotion, increasing Toronto's draw and Festival bragging rights as a 'circuit must'?

Before I could venture my opinion I felt some research was warranted to test what I considered to be true and accurate. Off the top of my subjective head I wrote down the leading Film Festivals both for popularity and industry significance. Let's see, well Cannes for sure, Venice yes, of course Sundance and sort of Vancouver. I looked at what I had written and couldn't believe that was it. I was embarrassed by what little I actually knew. Digging in I wasn't exhaustive in my investigation but thorough enough to state I read up on it. The only additions I made to my list were 'SXSW' and 'Berlin'.

'Berlin' surprised me a little but it made sense. However I cannot recall having ever heard or read anything about it. Held annually in February (no good for a North American audience with Oscars in March) it showcases somewhere in the area of 400 films and has attendance in the range of half a million people. That's pretty significant. This year Isabella Rossellini is the Jury Chair. Last year a film from Turkey won top prize and one from Romania took the silver. 'Roman Polanski' was selected Best Director for 'The Ghost Writer'. Along with Cannes and Venice it is considered one of the 'Big Three' festivals. One of the films that I went to see during TIFF 2010 was a German feature called 'Three' by Tykwer. I considered it to be fabulous and as it's North American Premiere it was sold out. When the screen faded to black there was a standing ovation.The 'World Premiere' had been in Venice and the director informed us during the post-screen discussion that many in the audience there had walked out; evidently the depiction of 'Gay' sex was too explicit and offensive. At a time when 'Six Feet Under' could reach wide critical acclaim it was hard for him to understand. He went on to say that Toronto has always been very kind to his work and wished that our liberal appreciation for art was more universal. I wonder why his 'World Premiere' was not at 'Berlinale' the official name of the German festival.

'SOUTH BY SOUTHWEST' was not strictly a surprise. It gets amazing press and deserves all of it but I knew it only for music.As a film venue my guess is that this event is still evolving. My superficial understanding leads me to believe that this has the potential to parallel Venice in that both seem to have elements of 'Exhibition' 'Festival' and 'Contemporary Art'. "Austin' is hot but Texas in general does not get the kind of exposure you would expect and for Austin to succeed on a film scale, New York and Hollywood need to pull their heads out of their assholes. Believe it or not Toronto, SXSW is the one to watch out for.

Venice, internationally known as 'La Biennnale di Venezia', is the world's oldest and is held every year in late August through the early part of September. This past year it was followed with some controversy that Tarantino, the Jury President, played favorites with his friends and the awards. Top Film was presented to Sofia Coppolla for 'Somewhere'. In 2009 'Lebanon' out of Israel won while Ang Lee presided and in 2008 it was 'The Wrestler' when Wim Wenders sat in the chair. Wenders you may recall was the director for 'Buena Vista Social Club'.

'Cannes' is without doubt the 'Big Daddy' of them all. Spring in the South of France, post Oscars, a May party to kick it off. The 'Palme d'Or' is the prize and in 2010 'Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives' from Thailand was the winner. It was also shown during TIFF and had an extended run at Lightbox. The 'Jury Selection' was 'A Screaming Man' from Chad.

'Sundance' during January in Park City Utah is the champion of Independent Film, Documentary and Shorts. 'SXSW' could very well replace this. Beyond Redford who is driving and Red Carpets on a blanket of snow do not sell. Have you ever heard of 'Berlinale'?

Vancouver or 'VIFF' (It was first with 'IFF'). It runs Late September through Early October and has been kicking it for thirty years. The emphasis is on 'Docs' and South Asian features. It rivals Toronto with 359 films from eighty countries. Last year's winner was "Wasteland' an entry from Rio which is home to the world's largest landfill site.

I know there are others like 'Tribeca' but for now I think this is a New York 'thing' given it is was a post 9-11 tourism response. Like the rest not mentioned 'wait and see' but not soon.

So that's what it looks like from this seat.

For a North American buck I think Toronto could be the next BIG ticket festival but only if Austin does not muscle up first. I like Toronto's chances given it's current position and hope that Piers Handling and Cameron Bailey along with the rest of their staff are up to the challenge. Toronto audiences selected 'The King's Speech' in 2010, 'Precious' in 2009 and 'Slumdog Millionaire' in 2008. All are mainstream and if not exactly vanilla sort of generic winners. What could be more 'West' and 'Best'?

Just in case you were not paying attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment